This is the same profile as before just a little lighter. Probably City++. Note that the battery on the bluetooth radio for the bean mass probe died at the end of this roast. This is a problem because it causes the data file to become corrupt. Had to fix this one by hand.
This is the really expensive bean that I’ve had trouble getting a roast I liked from. I added a 3 min drying phase to this roast to stretch things out really well. Roasted up to start of 2nd crack with this Full City + roast. Hope this one is good.
This is a lighter roast of the Yemen from earlier. Proabably about half way between first and second crack. Likely a full city roast.
Standard roast profile for this Yemen – right to second crack. Both first and second crack are understated on this bean
This is the second roast that suffered from the heater bug — The profile here is the second half of the roast (that I quickly restarted after I discovered the heater had cut out again). There was a fairly lengthy (20+ sec) as the heat recovered. Might be a stalled roast. Watch for baked flavors.
Had an issue with the latest Genie software — caused the heater to cut out near the end of first crack. This roast might be tolerable but is very light — city maybe city + at the most. I had a cup right out of the roaster. I’d describe it a thin but sweet. I was expecting some off flavors but really did not find that. Have to see how this one does over time.
Not much to say about this one — got a little behind on tasting notes plus had some issues with the Genie..
This a nice roast – actually the second of two batches from a 1lb SMs Ethiopia sampler. This bean is definitely less fruity/flowery than other Ethiopias (especially the Yirg I roasted earlier). Nice body on this – note quite a stand-out coffee for me but a solid drinker for sure.
I stretched the roast out quite a lot on this attempt (30% dev ratio). I added both a 3 minute drying time and reduced the D1 (post 1st crack) environment temperature to 505F (usually do this at 510F). Roast here is FC+. Normal pre-heat (550F set point for 10-15 min and then let the system cool to an inlet temp of 200F).
I don’t think that the roast stalled here even though you can see that BM temps stopped rising during the first part of 1st crack. The reason I don’t think there was a stall was because crack sounded pretty vigorous throughout.
Some issues with the image here — I think I need to move the camera away from the sample a little bit. The depth of field is very limited with such a close focal point and causes some focus issues here. The difference of having the sample tray just coated on the bottom versus filled all the way to the top is very significant (this is only the depth of an Altoids tin. I think that it will be easier to control at the full limit.