This is the second roast that suffered from the heater bug — The profile here is the second half of the roast (that I quickly restarted after I discovered the heater had cut out again). There was a fairly lengthy (20+ sec) as the heat recovered. Might be a stalled roast. Watch for baked flavors.
Had an issue with the latest Genie software — caused the heater to cut out near the end of first crack. This roast might be tolerable but is very light — city maybe city + at the most. I had a cup right out of the roaster. I’d describe it a thin but sweet. I was expecting some off flavors but really did not find that. Have to see how this one does over time.
Not much to say about this one — got a little behind on tasting notes plus had some issues with the Genie..
I stretched the roast out quite a lot on this attempt (30% dev ratio). I added both a 3 minute drying time and reduced the D1 (post 1st crack) environment temperature to 505F (usually do this at 510F). Roast here is FC+. Normal pre-heat (550F set point for 10-15 min and then let the system cool to an inlet temp of 200F).
I don’t think that the roast stalled here even though you can see that BM temps stopped rising during the first part of 1st crack. The reason I don’t think there was a stall was because crack sounded pretty vigorous throughout.
Some issues with the image here — I think I need to move the camera away from the sample a little bit. The depth of field is very limited with such a close focal point and causes some focus issues here. The difference of having the sample tray just coated on the bottom versus filled all the way to the top is very significant (this is only the depth of an Altoids tin. I think that it will be easier to control at the full limit.
Getting closer to coffee automation Nirvana here… This roast has the new roast profile format: improved bean pictures, marking for start and end of crack as well as development ratio calculations and markers for each phase. The automated profile posting is now working too. As soon as the roast is completed, the profile is automatically generated and then sent to roasthacker.com.
I discovered a bug in the Arduino portion of my RoastGenie code that prevented the start crack and end crack markers to be correct in this plot – should be an easy fix but it throws off the development ratio calculations in the profile below.
Nothing particularly special about this FC+ roast. Like most of my recent batches of Colombia lately, I roasted this just a few snaps into second crack.
This is an experiment to compare three different roast levels of Colombia Timana de Huila. This first roast is the “calibration roast”. Full power to first crack then roasted to the first snap of 2nd crack. In this roast, first crack started at 725 seconds and stopped 114 seconds later. Second crack started at 355 seconds after first crack.
I stopped the second roast 295 seconds after first crack. A full minute shorter than the first roast. First crack started at 695 seconds and ended 111 seconds later. I forgot to remove the outlet vent duct from the outlet until about 200 seconds into this roast. You can really see the significant affect this has on the inlet temperature. Outlet and Bean Mass temps are much less affected.
I stopped the third roast 235 seconds after first crack — a full two minutes less than the calibration roast. I got distracted on this roast and, although I remembered to remove the outlet vent duct before I started the roast, I forgot to turn up the outlet setpoint to 550F at the beginning of the roast and I also forgot to set the post first crack temp up to 510F. I really need to get the automatic roast profile setup completed for the RoastGenie. It looks like I caught the initial setting error before it made any difference. The post first crack setpoint mistake did result in the bean mass temperature dropping a bit. First crack on this roast lasted between 120s and 132s compared to about 111-114s for the previous roasts.
Small batch roasted for a friend. Waiting to hear how he liked it.
This is my first batch of this coffee. I had intended to roast at 510 F all the way through but forgot to make the manual adjustment after first crack put the setpoint back at 490 F. Period between first and second crack was quite long. Compare this against a faster roast.